Wednesday 7 December 2011

THEY SAY IT IS CULTURE, I SAY IT IS TORTURE!



THEY SAY IT IS CULTURE, I SAY IT IS TORTURE!
They say it is culture
I say it is torture
Born a woman, a reason to be oppressed
It is culture, a woman must be suppressed
I must never be too forward
They will only drag me backward
As a woman I must learn to be submissive
For a man has the power to be dismissive
To be accepted
I must be subjected!

Different meals I must prepare
That’s what makes me special
They say teas I must make
Special cakes I should bake
The butter I churn amidst the patter
The children and husband I pander
Hanging on to my apron often
As I take the heat of the Oven
I am sweating,
But he is swearing
Well he is the Man
And I am just a Woeman

They celebrate polygamy
But condemn polyandry
Why must he have all the fun
Having his beer belly rub in the sun
He has status, he must be a chief
Cos he has so many wives as chefs
Catering to his every need
Ready to bear all his seeds
Many lovers will leave me a pariah
I can be stoned according to Shariah

I am a child and there goes my friend
I can’t see her face; she is covered like a fiend
They say it makes her a woman worthy
Her value rises when a man comes forth
She is just a child that needs to play
Without all the covers to drag and slay
We were playing in the rain
Now I search for her in vain
Someone has carted her off to marry
She is just a kid, oh how I worry
Now she will never be merry
As that old man pop her sherry

I am a child born an atheist
Only to be told I must be a theist
To their services I am dragged
While all they do is brag
About their god fearing child
Oh how I wish for a shield
From all that talk of heaven and hell
I would rather be left in my shell
As the thought of a burning fire
Leaves me bewildered and tired
But they think I must have
With them a myth to share
A god to offer supplications
As I submit my applications

See I am gay
I have no say
They say it is a taboo
But this is not a tattoo
That leaves me a choice
Now I have found my voice
With Pride I reject your offer
In silence I will no longer suffer
Safety and silence for my sexuality
It’s too high a price for my mentality
Now you know one man‘s culture
Is really another woman’s torture!


BY © YEMISI ILESANMI , 2 APRIL, 2011

2 comments: